Community members are invited to attend “National Night Out” (NNO) celebration events taking place throughout Evanston on Tuesday, August 4, from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., to take a public stance against crime. See below for a list of registered 2015 NNO events:
- EPL – NNO Activities, 6 p.m., Evanston Public Library, 1703 Orrington Ave.
- 1500 Washington Neighbors – Block Party BBQ, 6 p.m., 1500 block of Washington St.
- Brummel Park Neighborhood Watch – Neighborhood Walk, 6:30 p.m., Brummel Park, located at Brummel St. and Elmwood Ave.
- Evanston Animal Shelter Association – Community Party, 6:30 p.m., Evanston Animal Shelter, 2310 Oakton St.
- ECDC – Block Party & Concert, 7 p.m., Church St. and Dodge Ave.
- Starlight Movie in the Park, 7 p.m., Penny Park, Lake St. and Ashland Ave.
- Hillside Neighborhood Watch – Block Party, 7 p.m., 2600 block of Princeton Ave.
- Hidden Park Neighborhood Watch – Neighborhood Meet & Greet, 7 p.m., Dobson/Brummel Park, Ashland Ave.(between Dobson and Brummel Streets)
- 1800 See-Ward Neighborhood Watch – Community Walk, 7 p.m., 1800 block of Seward St.
- Smith Park Neighborhood Watch – Block Party in the Park, 7 p.m., Smith Park, Ashland Ave. & Lyons St.
Residents are also asked to turn on their front porch lights that evening as a display of unity. Participants can find materials, such as banners, balloons, and t-shirts, online at natw.org.
National Night Out is a unique crime prevention event sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch (NATW). The event is designed to heighten crime and drug prevention awareness; generate support for, and participation in, local anti-crime programs; strengthen neighborhood spirit and police community partnerships; and send a message to criminals letting them know the neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
For more information, residents can call their Problem Solving Team (PST) Beat Officer at 847-866-5019.
The Evanston Police Department will also tweet live from various events throughout the night. Be sure to follow them on Twitter, @EvanstonPD.