This Tuesday, August 2 is National Night Out. The annual event promotes police-community partnerships and brings us together to make our neighborhoods safer, better places to live. Events are being held at locations throughout the city during the evening.
National Night Out festivities in or near the 2nd ward will be:
- Penny Park – Movie in the Park, 7 p.m., Lake Street and Ashland Avenue (movie begins at dusk, approximately 8:15 p.m.)
Here is a list of other National Night Out events in Evanston:
- Evanston Public Library – 1703 Orrington Avenue: Providing Science Technology Engineering Art and Math (STEAM) activities outside the Church Street entrance between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m.
- 1500 Washington Neighbors – Block Party BBQ, 7 p.m., 1500 block of Washington Street
- Brummel Park Neighborhood Watch – Neighborhood Walk – Meet at 6:30 p.m. at Custer Avenue and Howard Street.
- Evanston Animal Shelter – 2310 Oakton Street. 7 p.m.
- Church Street and Dodge Avenue – Neighborhood Meet & Greet, 7 p.m.
- Cartwright Park – Neighborhood Meet & Greet; food and drinks, 3300 Noyes Street, 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Hidden Park Neighborhood Watch – Neighborhood Meet & Greet, 7 p.m., Dobson/Brummel Park, Ashland Avenue(between Dobson and Brummel Streets)
- Smith Park Neighborhood Watch – Block Party in the Park with popsicles and treats, 7 p.m., Smith Park, Ashland Avenue & Lyons Street
Residents are also encouraged to turn on their front porch lights on Tuesday evening as a display of unity.
The Evanston Police Department will also tweet live from various events throughout the night. Be sure to follow them on Twitter, @EvanstonPD.